ALBERTA JUNIOR RUGBY ASSOCIATION
ABOUT ROOKIE RUGBY
Rookie Rugby is the nation-wide introductory rugby program for ages 6 to 14 that provides both teachers and coaches with a safe, fun, and inclusive non-contact curriculum to introduce children to rugby.
Rookie Rugby is a game-based curriculum built on national guidelines for Health and Physical Education curriculums.
The program provides open-access, easy-to-follow game modules for leading a variety of activities that build introductory, non-contact rugby skills and provide teachers – including those that are unfamiliar with rugby – with new methods to promote physical literacy and practice Fundamental Movement Skills (FMS).
ROOKIE RUGBY RESOURCES
The Rookie Rugby program provides clubs, schools, and community groups with all of the resources they need to develop a Rookie Rugby program:
- A complete Rookie Rugby Games Curriculum, accessible online and provided in each kit. Each comprehensive printable Rookie Rugby game card includes the objective of the game, set-up information, LTAD stages, FMS, a step-by-step breakdown on how to play the game, as well as game progressions and coaching tips.
- A How-To Guidebook, which includes an overview of the games, a breakdown of rules, and coaching tips for teachers, parents, and volunteers to help participants be successful on the field.
- Rookie Rugby promotional material, including a promotional video, program flyers, and a presentation template which are easy to edit for your group’s use.
- Free Rookie Rugby instructor training by AJRA RR Educators. Our Rookie Rugby Educators (seasoned rugby coaches) will demonstrate how to coach several Rookie Rugby games, provide a breakdown of fundamental rugby skills and simplified methods on how to coach them, and discuss possible adaptations to each game to allow different groups to participate inclusively.
- A complete Rookie Rugby kit, which includes all the equipment needed to teach Rookie Rugby to a class of 30 students, including rugby balls, flag belts, cones, and a kit bag, is available for purchase on www.RookieRugby.ca for any schools needing equipment.
For groups interested in delivering the Rookie Rugby program into their school or organisation, email rookierugbyalberta@gmail,com for more information.For groups interested in having a Rookie Rugby Instructor deliver sessions directly to participants, check out our booking links.